Monday, September 3, 2012

A year ago...

Happy Labor Day! I hope everyone is having a lovely 3 day weekend.

Photo from here

I still remember the day I started writing my novel, sans all of the planning I did during summer 2011. It was September 1, 2011, a Thursday. I had gone to Rockridge Library to borrow Catherynne M. Valente's newest middle-grade fantasy novel The Girl Who Had Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. As I was sitting on the bench at the Rockridge BART station, in the shade provided by the train tracks and the highways high above my head, I felt the time was right to start penning the very first words of my novel.

She would keep her secrets lodged in her throat, tucked away behind a silver lock that was one and whole with the fair skin on her smooth neck.

It just felt right to keep on writing and writing. When the 51B came howling into the station to take me back to Berkeley, and everyone packed onto the bus, I sat on the bus, feeling as though I was in a trance on that sunny afternoon. I sat next to an adorable Asian (or half-Asian?) little girl with her mother. The little girl was carrying a teddy bear. I told her that her teddy bear was very adorable, and she went on to tell me her teddy bear's name and that everyone in her class was responsible for taking care of it every week. She was responsible for taking care of her class's teddy bear that week, and said that one time, one of the teddy bears from her class got lost, and everyone was very upset.

Imagine that, instead of "7, Arlington, Kensington," the bus says "51B, U.C. Campus, via College Ave"

Now, one year later, I have three written publications, and I'm now on chapter 13 of draft #3. I'm hoping to have draft #3 completed by 2013.

Continuing on my journey to being a published novelist!

Photo of the 51B bus from here

No comments:

Post a Comment