Saturday, March 15, 2014

Amok Anthology News

So, back in January, while I was in Taiwan, I made the announcement that my short story "Moon Rabbit" will be in Amok: An Anthology of Asia-Pacific Speculative Fiction. The cover and summary is now on Goodreads! Publication date is April 30, 2014.

Amok cover by Jun Hun Yap
Check out the gif for the making of the cover too! :D


I'm so excited for this anthology, and so proud to be part of this. So far, we've received 5-star reviews. There's a Crowdfunding Campaign on IndieGoGo, and even though we surpassed our goal of $500, that's only the minimum. If you'd like a copy of the anthology, or any other books from Solarwyrm Press, or a t-shirt of the anthology, or a personalized story, or any other goodies, please support us and purchase something from the IndieGoGo website. I just bought my t-shirt a few days ago, and am excited to wear it!

The editor of the anthology, Dominica Malcolm, graciously accepted my offer to interview her as well about this anthology.

INTERVIEW WITH DOMINICA MALCOLM
Q: What did you see in all the stories you chose to include? Aside from good writing, obviously.

A: Haha, obviously! Still, when it comes to good writing, I actually look for a good story first; something I can connect with, which is usually human emotion within the characters. Love, loss, pain, fear, that sort of thing. I also looked at stories that had a sense of realism in them, which can include those human emotions even in the not-so-human characters, but particularly realism in the future-set stories. Possible futures I could see existing based on current happenings in the world. And, of course, one of the primary things I was looking for was diversity. The stories themselves did not need to include a great range of diversity between their characters, but the anthology did. I wanted stories about characters that are seen less frequently in Western media. 

Q:What would you like to see more of in the speculative fiction genre?

A: More diversity, which I talked about above. Characters from many different backgrounds (religious, cultural, racial, etc). Bisexual characters (bi erasure is kind of a pet peeve of mine). But where these character backgrounds aren't really a big deal. I don't need someone to make a song and dance about it. People are people. Just show me different people interacting with each other.

Q: Choose three words to describe the sensation of editing this anthology.

A: Enjoyable, educational, and pride.

Q: Any last words for the readers of this Q&A?

A: If they like diversity, they should check out Amok: An Anthology of Asia-Pacific Speculative Fiction. The racial diversity is the greatest part, but there are also characters with disabilities, a few LGBT characters, a couple of Muslims, and characters of different ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment