Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Typing up Chapter 13


After typing up yesterday's blog post, I just had to write another one today. I'm taking a break from typing chapter 13 for now. I am now at the novel's climax! I can't reveal too much, but I have to say that the fact that I sprained my ankle on Monday is a blessing. Satu sprains an ankle in this chapter. Although I have sprained my ankles three times in the past, spraining my ankle on Monday has refreshed my memory of how painful a sprain can be!

I was partially inspired by the event "Mandyland" from the game Vampire Wars


If I had to summarize the atmosphere and aesthetics of this chapter, I would describe it has a topsy-turvy kaleidoscopic-colored circus that is, on the surface, an innocent revelry for a royal princess's birthday party, but masks a sinister plan full of dolls, wine, and adult recklessness. This chapter is also sprinkled with revelations, test of relationships between characters, and a few reunions.

I'm having so much fun with this chapter. I wrote the first draft in my notebook on my birthday (fitting, since there is a birthday party in the chapter!). Here are more inspirations I had running through my head when writing this chapter:


The "Topsy Turvy" scene from Disney's adaption of The Hunchback of Notre Dame

One of my old drawings, titled "I Want It"

That creepy dinner scene with the pale man from Pan's Labyrinth

The Night Circus, written by the lovely Erin Morgenstern

Whimsical, creative tiered cakes



The artworks of Takaya Miou

Marina Bychkova's dolls

The song "Cyanide" by the Swedish metal band Deathstars


Now, before I end my post and return to typing chapter 13, the three main albums I listened to when writing this chapter were Carnival of Lost Souls by Nox Arcana, Grim Confections by Cindergarden, and Imaginaerum by Nightwish. Here is a track from each of those albums:

"Living Dolls" by Nox Arcana



"Candles on a Cake" by Cindergarden


"Scaretale" by Nightwish



Till next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment