Friday, May 18, 2012

Writer of the Week #16: Jaclyn Dolamore


Jaclyn is the author of Magic Under Glass, which  made it onto the booklist of Top 10  First Novel for Youths




Name: Jaclyn Dolamore

Age: 30

Website: http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

Location: Outside of Hagerstown, MD

When did you realize you wanted to be a published author?
As far back as I can recall. When I was nine I wrote a story about a girl and her horse so I could sell it, even though I didn't care for horses, because I knew horses were popular with other girls, and I got Writer's Market out from the library and wrote it by hand, formatted for submission. I was too chicken to actually submit it, though. Perhaps subconsciously I knew it was an awful story. I also spent a lot of time writing other stories, but that was the first time I considered publication.

Name 5 authors and 5 books
I have talked about my very favorite books ad nauseum on other blogs, so you, I shall give five YA (or upper MG) that I think should be more widely read:
A True and Faithful Narrative by Katherine Sturtevant
The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle
A Long Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan
Faery Rebels/Knife by R. J. Anderson
Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters by Natalie Standiford

Where do you get your inspiration from?
History and the fascinatingly diverse world we live in inspire my settings, while my plots and characters tend to be inspired by plots and characters I love in other people's works. I like to dig out what makes me love a story, twist it, and use it for my own.

What do you think is the best quality a writer can have?
Dedication to craft.

Any last words?
If any of your readers are in the mid-Atlantic region, please do check my website for events! I love meeting readers.

Challenge: Write a one-sentence story!
All she knew was that the vintage cocktail dress gave her more confidence, and the ghost that haunted the wiggle-cut taffeta affair was happy enough for her to keep on thinking it.











Thank you so much for your insightful answers, Jaclyn! If anyone is interested in being a writer of the week, please read the instructions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment