It's not very often one gets to be a student at a renowned university while the university's famous library is celebrating its centennial. Party in the library? With cupcakes? And free book giveaways? And the chance to meet Maxine Hong Kingston? And no red plastic cups with disgusting alcohol in sight? How often does that happen?
 |
| Fliers announcing the celebration were all over the Cal campus. |
March 21, 2012, Wednesday, was Doe Library's 100th birthday celebration! I went to cover the event for
Caliber Magazine. In addition, since the event is literary-related, I decided that it would fit into my personal blog as well, so I'm now typing this up!
 |
| A miniature of Doe Library (and its surroundings) against a backdrop of fireworks in the hallway. |
 |
| Athena smiling and blessing anyone with potent study skills when they enter the library. But be warned! If you exit the library through this same door, she will get angry and take away your ability to recall what you've studied. |
 |
| The book giveaway in 303 Doe was crowded! |
I was so happy I went to the book giveaway early! A mega-long line was forming outside. Everyone could take a maximum of five books. I got four: a Norton Anthology on Victorian literature, a Norton Anthology on Romantic literature, a behind-the-scenes book on James Cameron's Titanic, and Your Chinese Roots: The Overseas Chinese Story by Thomas Tsu-wee Tan.
 |
| Newspapers/Microforms Room |
 |
| California Golden Overtones singing in the North Reading Room. |
 |
| The University Chamber Chorus performing Claude Debussy's "Trois chansons" in the Heyns Reading Room. |
At 4:30, cupcakes were given out! About 1700 cupcakes were distributed to patrons. I got two cupcakes, but people could only take one at a time, so I had to wait in line to get the second cupcake. But it was worth it.
 |
| There were chocolate cupcakes... |
 |
| ...and vanilla too. |
At 5:30, there were speakers in the library who reflected upon the history of Doe Library and the impact of it upon UC Berkeley. Just hearing them speak about how influential, how scholarly, and how famous the library system is just makes me so proud to be a Cal bear.
 |
| Maxine Hong Kingston was one of the speakers. She signed my copy of "The Woman Warrior"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D |
 |
| I got a photo with best-selling author Annie Barrows too! :D |
 |
| A map that Earl Kingston and Maxine Hong Kingston brought in. |
This beautiful map of Berkeley, which survived a fire that destroyed the Kingstons' home years ago, was discovered. It says:
"This is the map of Berkeley town
Its streets go winding up and down
An oak-covered campus it wears for a crown
With people and places of renown"
*sniff* Again, so proud to be a Cal bear.
 |
| The Main Library used copies of the National Union Catalog to build "100" |
 |
| Balloons were everywhere in the library! |
Well, this blog post is less formal than the one I had posted for Caliber Magazine. If you want to read it, here is...
Recap of the event
Birthday announcement/invitation
Happy birthday, Doe Library!
CUPCAKES! Looks like such a cute little celebration :) xx
ReplyDeleteIt was! Thank you, Anisa :)
DeleteHi Jo,
ReplyDeleteMy son went to Cal. He was in the dance company. Go Bears! Great post.
-E
Thanks so much, Ehrich! And that's really cool I'm attending your son's alma mater :D
DeleteThat looked yummy, I love chocolate cupcakes. Oh, and the free books were a nice touch. You'll have to let me know how behind the scenes of Titanic book was.:)
ReplyDeleteThe Titanic book is out of print, but can be found here on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/James-Camerons-Titanic-Cameron/dp/0060193476
Delete