Friday, March 16, 2012

Writer of the Week #10: Francene Stanley






Name: Francene Stanley


Age: I've just turned seventy. I can hardly believe I've reached this age. Back in 1958, during the early rock-n-roll years, I thought I'd die before I reached sixteen. No idea why. Who does at that age? I defied my mother by riding on the back of a motorbike, thinking nothing mattered and that you can't alter fate, which I accepted as preordained. Of course, my early death never came about. I've learned so much along the way, both bitter and sweet.


Website: http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/Francene.


Location: Although I spent the first forty five years of my life in South Australia, I live in outer London and the Untied Kingdom is my country of choice.


When did you realize you wanted to be a published author?
In 2007 I began to write my first novel. Before then, I worked in the catering business full time—hard work, which left no energy for anything else. After songwriting, I turned to poetry and once I'd exhausted every topic I could think of, a novel came to mind, loosely based on my life. Of course, I longed to have the story published, but the road to writing a good story stretched ahead. I've now signed the contract for the novel: Still Rock Water.


Name 5 authors and 5 books.
I read and read from the time I was young. Ann of Green Gables, The Famous Five and Pollyanna inspired me. In my twenties, I inherited my grandmother's Science Fiction collection published from as early as the Twenties. I devoured every one. Asimov, Tolstoy and Tolkien inspired me. Then, in my thirties, I read books about Edgar Cayce's 'readings' and the concept captivated me about past lives and what happens when we die. I love Sarum, a massive novel about the Salisbury Cathedral through reincarnated builders. For me, characters need to be complex and learn during each lifetime.


Where do you get your inspiration from?
My inspiration comes from people I've known and newspaper articles. Of my three children, two have died before me. I like to use the best in their personalities to honor their life. People who have hurt me in the past lend reality to the evil intentions of characters, yet I understand how they felt at the time and forgive them for their lack of understanding.


What is the best quality a writer can have?
Each writer gives a part of themselves. They share their passion, joy and sorrow. If a reader can live each moment with a character and see through their eyes, they are lifted out of their normal environment. The best thing a writer can give is: understanding. Following the greatest commandment: Love thy neighbor.


Any last words?
If only I could share optimism with my readers. They can find a way out of every dark situation if they remain steadfast. And dress in their very best clothes of course, Jo  ;-) Nothing makes a girl feel better.


Challenge: Write a one-sentence story!
Although Mrs. Penguin had thrown him out of the nest, Wally waddled to the edge of the ice, dived underwater, caught a fat fish and sprang back with his prize in his mouth, sure of his reinstatement.

Thank you so much, Francene! If anyone else would like to be a Writer of the Week,  please follow the instructions here.



3 comments:

  1. Great interview, Francene. I put on my most comfy clothes though! ;-)

    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, Francene. I enjoyed the read.
    Best,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! As an aspiring "novelist", I enjoyed hearing about a life well traveled and the glass full.

    ReplyDelete