![]() | ||
| Check out Holly's heavy YA novel Don't Breathe a Word! |
Name: Holly Cupala
Age: 38
Website: www.hollycupala.com
Location: Seattle, WA
When did you realize you wanted to be a published author?
I’ve
always in my heart of hearts wanted to be a writer. I wrote two teen romances
when I was in eighth grade, before I actually experienced teen romance. After
that, I wrote tragic stories and poetry (first love was brutal), wrote for
adults and then finally circled back. TELL ME A SECRET was my first YA, and my
second, DON’T BREATHE A WORD, just came out.
Name 5 authors and 5 books
Five favorite YA-ish books:
Speak, by Laurie
Halse Anderson
The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale
Fat Kid Rules the World, by K.L. Going
Dragonswood, by Janet Lee Carey
The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale
Fat Kid Rules the World, by K.L. Going
Dragonswood, by Janet Lee Carey
Where do you get your inspiration from?
The darkest corners of life, and the light that illuminates
them.
What do you think is the best quality a writer can have?
Courage—to examine the dark corners, to put words on the
page, to make them as beautiful and honest as possible, to face rejection from
many corners, and even to find success.
Any last words?
A wise friend says to “write through the bad stuff.” I think
those words apply to life, too: live through the bad stuff. The point is, live.
Challenge: Write a one-sentence story!
When I looked back at the frozen moments of memories passing,
events captured in minutes and hours, I realized it wasn’t my enemy who
poisoned me—it was time itself. (Just for you, Jo!)
Thank you so much for your answers, Holly! (Especially your one-sentence story, hehe!) If anyone is interested in being a writer of the week, please read the instructions here.


No comments:
Post a Comment