Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Novelist-Wannabe History


A bit of background of me as a writer: I started writing novels at age 11. Many of them fizzled out by the end of the first few chapters, but the first one I finished was when I was 13, written in a span of 4.5 or 5.5 months, and took up 1.5 composition notebooks. The second one was finished when I was 14, a few months before graduating middle school. However, they are both humiliatingly amateur fantasy novels, and I refuse to regurgitate the summaries. After penning these novels, I proceeded to submit query letters and (if requested) excerpts of my manuscripts to agents. They all rejected me, and looking back, I can definitely see why, and am now pretty happy that they were rejected. In fact, I still have the rejection letters floating around home...somewhere...



The pile of notebooks with a long history of novel-writing attempts.
Look at all those worn pages!

I still wrote in high school, but not as often as I would have liked, and was happy to use creative writing classes as excuses to write more. High school resulted with a lot more partially-written novels that I lost interest in (though as I look through the notebooks, I see some rather promising material that I can resurrect and utilize in the future...) Back in January, I started a novel about a doctor who tries to resurrect his dead sister with a headless doll, because he's convinced that she's the answer to a cure for the epidemic that's spreading in the city he lives in. But as I was writing chapter 5, I figured that I need some more life experience to write that novel, so it's currently on hiatus. But, in college, I'm still determined to make publication a reality, despite Berkeley's reputation for killer academics.

On Friday, I finished typing up a revision of chapter 1 of my novel. Yesterday, and up to today, I'm in the process of typing chapter 2. Lots of changes made, and to be made!


No comments:

Post a Comment