Name: Jessica Marshman
Age: 18, just about 19
Website (if you have one): http://alterrnative.wordpress.com/
Location: British Columbia, Canada
When did you realize you wanted to be a published author?
I started writing stories when I could actually start writing sentences and creating scenarios. When I was about 10 or so, I had a list of professions I wanted to join, all beginning with A, and Author was number one. I believe one of my first stories, when I was probably six or so, was called B-Ball Girl, and was about some girl who overcame adversity by playing sports. Even though I got my lowest mark on a grade four provincial examination in writing - probably because I wrote a horror story - I kept on trucking, and have since written several full length novels, none of which have satisfied me until recently. My baby, Of the Arbour, is an epic adventure fantasy that I wholly intend to publish, one way or another.
Name 5 authors and 5 books
Diana Gabaldon (aka God), the Outlander series; Anne Rice, the Vampire Chronicles; JRR Tolkien, the Silmarillion; Rachel Aaron, the Legend of Eli Monpress; James Luceno, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Where do you get your inspiration from?
Everywhere and everything. Diana Gabaldon is my all-time, no questions asked, favourite author, and her writing inspires me to no end. I also do plenty of gaming, which encourages the fantasy juices to flow - games such as the Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age give endless character, plot, and setting ideas to work with. I have an obsession with Star Wars that has been going strong for as long as I can remember; that vast universe is so easy to get lost in. Music lyrics, especially dark ones, help encourage writing scenes that match, like battles and deaths - which are two scenarios that frequent the pages of my stories.
What do you think is the best quality a writer can have?
Every author brings something fresh and new to the table, but everyone needs dynamic characters and sound plots. Otherwise, not to bash or troll or start flaming the internet, we end up with Twilight. Characters need to progress and change, not only due to natural age progression and maturity, but also from traumatic or precious experiences. If they stay the same, with no real personality, the reader has a harder time relating to them and enjoying the full experience of the story.
Any last words?
Put some of yourself into your main character, but don't be your main character.
Challenge: Write a one-sentence story!
Myriad sparks of copper and saffron snapped and crackled as they sprung away from the depths of the embers to dance into the velvet-black sky, and to drift amongst the stars.
Thank you, Jessica, for your in-depth answers! If you would like to be a writer of the week, please read the instructions at this link: Writer of the Week inspiration, instructions, and example.
Thank you, Jessica, for your in-depth answers! If you would like to be a writer of the week, please read the instructions at this link: Writer of the Week inspiration, instructions, and example.

No comments:
Post a Comment