Friday, January 27, 2012

Writer of the Week #3: K.L. Stott


Name: K.L. Stott
Age: 19
Website: Writing Wormholes (http://klstott.blogspot.com/)
Location: Oregon (currently)
When did you realize you wanted to be a published author?
I think the first time I wanted to be a writer was in the third grade and I tried to write a story that turned out miserably and I abandoned it. Only in the last 3 years have I reignited my desire to be an author.
Name 5 authors and 5 books
Authors: Stephen King, Michael Crichton, Orson Scott Card, Marrion Zimmer Bradley, J.R.R. Tolkien. Books: IT (by Stephen King), Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton), A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens), Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell), The Once and Future King (T.H. White)
Where do you get your inspiration from?
I get most of my inspiration from my fellow writer friend, C.V. Herst (a struggling but brilliant screenwriter) and also just from reading every book I can get my hands on.
What do you think is the best quality a writer can have?
Discipline. As a writer, you just can't rely on inspiration to get you through your short story or novel. You have to force yourself to work on it everyday, even if you only manage to write 100 words. Or even if you don't work on that project at all. Just the process of writing something keeps the motivation going.
Any last words?
Here is my favourite quote on writing: “Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.” -E.L. Doctorow
Challenge: Write a one-sentence story!
He grasped hold of the icy railing and gazed out at the dead wasteland in front of him, the remains of his home after those monsters came swarming from the sky, knowing that even though everything was going to hell, it'd be all right in the end.




Thank you so much, K.L., for your answers! If anyone would like to be a Writer of the Week, please read the instructions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment