Friday, January 20, 2012

Writer of the Week #2: Chelsea M. Campbell


Check out Chelsea's book, The Rise of Renegade X!

Name:  Chelsea M. Campbell

Age:  29  (I'll be 30 in March!)

Website:  http://www.chelseamcampbell.com/

Location:  Seattle, WA

When did you realize you wanted to be a published author?
Er, I think I was four?  I've always LOVED books and stories of all kinds, and I remember making my mom join my fake book clubs when I was a kid, but I hadn't learned to read yet, so I had to ask her how to spell all the words.  I vaguely remember writing an illustrated book about a unicorn jumping off a cliff.

5 authors:  Sara Shepard, Jeff Lindsay, J. K. Rowling, Rachel Cohn, Patricia C. Wrede.

5 books: The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, Feed by Mira Grant, The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, Plain Kate by Erin Bow.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
Mostly from the feelings I get from stories.  Like when you're reading about one of your favorite characters or watching your favorite show and something really squee-worthy happens, whether it's something deliciously awful, or the moment when the romance finally works, or when a plot twist is just perfectly done--those moments are what inspire me to write my own stories.

What do you think is the best quality a writer can have?
Persistence.  Writing is a craft.  It takes time to learn, and everybody learns at their own pace.  Have faith that you'll get there, no matter what.

Any last words?
Write fast and dream hard.  Take risks.  Find a way to live by your own rules and don't let anyone else tell you different.

Challenge: Write a one-sentence story!
True story: once upon a time--pretty much every day, actually--my overly-cautious cat picked a fight with my brave cat and lost.


Thank you, Chelsea! If anyone would like to be a writer of the week, please follow the instructions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment