Monday, April 2, 2012

"Wilting Princess" published in the April Issue of Underneath the Juniper Tree

 

Happy April, everyone! I'm proud to say that my short story and fairy tale, "Wilting Princess," was published in the April issue of Underneath the Juniper Tree! Isn't the cover beautiful? It was illustrated by Paolo Patroni, and it reminds me of Natalie Shau's works. I only wish I could purchase a hard copy of the magazine! As for my story, it was illustrated by Evan Heasman. I love seeing his artistic interpretation of my character, who is described as a "princess who wore a dress of flowers that bloomed upon her body," and "upon her head, she wore not a crown, but a great black bird cage fitted over her face."


Here is an excerpt of my story: 

          Long ago, there lived a princess who wore a dress of flowers that bloomed upon her body and swayed with her every waltz-like step. Upon her head, she wore not a crown, but a great black bird cage fitted over her face.. Despite her idiosyncrasies, all who lay eyes upon her found her beautiful. Children and adults were drawn to her, for she was a feast for the eyes, with her porcelain skin, sunrise-rosy cheeks, and rosebud lips.
          Yet, when the princess turned her gaze upon them, they felt an unexplained jolting chill. Yes, she was comely, but there was a quality in her eyes that frightened them. They were dark, oh-so-black, like ink staining white silk, like a hollow pit down a murky well with no way of climbing out. It was worse when the princess smiled. She smiled the way any other girl would—wide and giddy—ready to laugh and sing with friends. But when others saw her smile at them, they felt as though she emitted a monstrous aura, as if she possessed fangs as long and sharp as the blade of daggers and viscous blood dripping from her mouth, threatening to stain their clothes and skin.

Read the rest of the story on pg. 35 in the April issue!

6 comments:

  1. I so love the cover! Jo, I will be reading your short story for sure. It sounds haunting and beautiful at the same time. Thank you for writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, your story was brilliant....it was quite intimidating as I really wanted to do your character justice.
    Your blog is fantastic!
    Much thanks for the link to my blog.
    best wishes
    Evan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evan!

      Thank YOU so much for illustrating it, and for linking back to my blog :D I definitely appreciate it! <3

      Delete
  3. I love the cover- so interesting to look at! I also very much enjoyed the excerpt you included. You are a talented writer- I am drawn into the story.

    I am a new followe here. :)
    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Jess! I really appreciate both the comment and the follow <3

      Delete