Friday, August 3, 2012

Writer of the Week #19: Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson


Jessica Haight

Stephanie Robinson
Read Stephanie and Jessica's deliciously spooky middle-grade novel The Secret DMS Files of Fairday Morrow


Name: Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson

Age: 38 and 38

Websites:
DMS Home Site: www.jessicahaight.com
FB: www.facebook.com/fairday

Location: Connecticut


When did you realize you wanted to be a published author?
Jessica: I think I’ve always wanted to write a book- at least since I could read and write. Stories are a huge, wonderful part of who I am, and I have loved them for as long as I can remember.
Stephanie: I have always wanted to write a book. I have written many short stories, poems, and starts of books over the years. Writing with Jess came very naturally and that is what helped us to both get a book written together.


Name 5 authors and 5 books
Combined Answers:
  • Harry Potter/ J.K. Rowling
  • The Hunger Games/ Suzanne Collins
  • Wonder/ R.J. Palacio
  • Breadcrumbs/ Anne Ursu
  • 43 The Lightning Theif/ Rick Riordan



Where do you get your inspiration from?
Jessica: My inspiration to write comes from some part of my brain that puts a twist on the things that I see around me and gets excited about them.
Stephanie: I agree with Jess, a great story can pop up anyplace and anytime, you just have to keep your eyes open. I can find inspiration everywhere- in the people I interact with everyday, watching a touching movie, noticing a pretty house. These pieces of life all become intertwined into my writing,



What do you think is the best quality a writer can have?
Jessica: The finest writers are those who have a natural ability to feel and understand words, and then put them together into sentences that can touch another person in some way.
Stephanie: Great character development and the ability to write natural dialogue is so important to crafting a great story. Writers like J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Collins are masters at introducing you to the cast and then making you feel like you are actually friends with them all. : )


Any last words?
Two fun facts:
Stephanie likes sardines and Jessica is a huge fan of the show M.A.S.H.



Challenge: Write a one-sentence story!
“If I can make it to the top, I’ll be okay,” the man whispered to no one, and he ran there as fast as he could.




Thank you so much for your insightful answers, Jessica and Stephanie! If anyone is interested in being a writer of the week, please read the instructions here.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, Thanks so much for hosting us on your lovely blog! Stephanie and I enjoyed answering your thoughtful questions : ) Have a great weekend, and remember... fear not the unexpected! ~ Jess & Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so honored to host you guys. Thank YOU for taking the time to answer the questions and follow instructions. :D

      Delete
  2. Great interview! I love the finally quote... very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome interview! I love their blog and the first few chapters of their book that I have read on line is great. It was fun to learn more about them. I love Harry Potter and Wonder- just like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw the link on their site to this interview. I won this book and read it. It is an awesome mystery. I was on the edge of my seat and can't wait for the next book. This interview was fun. I liked seeing where they got their ideas. Sardines? Not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I'm happy to hear you won the book and enjoyed it :D

      Delete